WHAT IS THE RWANDA SCHOOL PROJECT?
In 1994, Rwanda was engulfed in a genocide in which 1,000,000 people were killed in 90 days under a Nazi-like regime. The world stood by.
Today, Rwanda’s government has expressed a need for secondary education, citing it as one of the top five priorities in the next ten years, but lacking the needed funds. There is a call for leadership by young people with strong critical thinking skills, sound academic and moral training, good science and math ability and a good understanding of teamwork and self-discipline.
We opened the Rwamagana Leaders’ School in 2010 to offer a secure and nurturing school environment that transforms vulnerable youth into future leaders and problem solvers who champion environmental sustainability and social change.
We are an intermediate school (grades S1- S6 — grades 7-12 in the U.S.). We offer nine combinations: MPG, MPC, HEF, MEG, MCE, MPC, HEL, HGL, PCB, and MCB. M =Math, P =Physics, G = Geography, C = Chemistry, H = History, E = Economics, C =Computer Science, L =Literature, B = Biology. In addition, we offer English, Kinyarwanda, Swahili, ICT, Music, and Entrepreneurship. This year, we have enrolled 123 girls and 150 boys. We continue to reach out to families to send their daughters to school.
WHAT MAKES OUR SCHOOL SPECIAL?
LEARN. Focus on Team Skills
Teamwork, leadership, sense of fairness, and kindness to others is valued for all students. Perseverance is foundational for all our students.
EMPOWER. Focus on Empowerment
Rwanda is moving from a rote memorization teacher-centered model to one of teaching critical thinking skills. Rwamagana Leaders’ School uses EL Education which inspires and empowers teachers to unleash the potential of their students.
LEAD. Focus on Community Service
Students are encouraged to think about and participate in community service activities. Our school fed over 3,000 people of the community while our school was closed for eight months during the pandemic.
Focus on Sustainability
We use solar panels to provide electricity, water catching system to provide clean water, biogas digesters to convert waste into fuel for cooking. We raise chickens for food and cows for milk to teach responsibility and micro economics. Core to our philosophy is teaching our students to be good stewards of their environment and resources.
Focus on Girls’ Education
“Educate a girl and she’ll educate the village.” Following Rwanda’s lead to promote girls’ education, we work as a school to be gender sensitive so that girls have opportunities to speak out. School and after-school activities also focus on girls’ health and confidence.
Focus on Whole Child Philosophy, Diversity, Music, and Sports
Children don’t learn in a vacuum; their life is expected by all they do, hear, and experience. Ninety-three percent of our students are boarding (100 beds for girls and 100 beds for girls) so we provide 24-7 supervision. We offer music lessons, sports (basketball and football), school farming, and a variety of community services. Our students come from very different economic and religious backgrounds, and all are welcome. Visitors from various countries come and volunteer to help students get a wide world view.
Click here to see video on YouTube.
WE HAVE BIG 15-YEAR DREAMS
BIG DREAM, #1:
BE THE BEST!
Establish our place as a preeminent secondary school in Rwanda.
BIG DREAM, #2:
DOUBLE IN SIZE!
Build the necessary campus to support 400 boarding students.
You can watch this video on YouTube by clicking on the white right arrow or words “YouTube” above. You may also use the link below: https://youtu.be/8p5UUYuXLCs
To see the details of this plan, click on “Master Plan” dropdown on the top header.
What does it cost and what are the admission requirements?
School fees are affordable and we offer sponsorship opportunities for students of who pass an entrance examination. The registration fee is 2,000 Rwf (about $2 U.S.). All students require some sort of financial assistance. About 65% of the families are able to pay tuition, which partially covers the $1,577 cost per student. Full tuition is $807 for a Ordinary Level Student (S1, S2, S3) and $877 for an Advanced Level Student (S4, S5, and S6). The remaining 35% of the attending students need full sponsorship. A sponsorship is $160/mo. which provides a top flight education, a bed in the dormitory, two hot meals a day, and an opportunity for a lifetime. 100% of sponsorship donations are sent directly to Rwanda.